Day 3: Cafe Sketches

December 28, 2015



So I intended to vary the medium in my posts day by day and was planning on posting something music related today, but I spent the day in the city with my sister and ended up doing a few sketches in my down time...so here's some more art. Perhaps music will come tomorrow.

Speed Sketching

I've always wanted to work on sketching fast and doing it well. When I draw with a time limit (usually something like 5-10 min), I tend to get caught up in the details and can't manage to capture the scene before I have to leave. Still trying to get over this habit. For instance, this is my sister Joy at dunkin donuts - I didn't even get the chair she was sitting on before we had to leave to catch our ride.


Here's my friend Jake and a random guy at a "the bean" cafe in NYC. I thought it was funny both appeared to be highlighting or taking notes in their books. Quote from Jake, (roughly) "The greatest compliment you can give an author is writing in his book," showing that you're engaging with the material. I'd argue otherwise - what if I just wrote sarcastic, rude comments in the margins? haha.

Still didn't capture the scene in time... I cheated and added the background strokes from memory afterwards.

Then when I got home I decided to do a sketch under less pressure, but still working quickly. Here's Joy again. She looks like she's wearing a fur coat or something fancy. Psych - it's a snuggie!


hahah.



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like me on Facebook

Quote of the Day

"Why was the banana sad? Because he was a-kela"