Summer Plans 2015

June 01, 2015

"Jaipur City Palace" (2014) - a piece I made after my first visit to Jaipur

India - Take 3!

This summer I will be expanding upon my Hindi studies at the American Institute of Indian Studies (AIIS) in Jaipur, Rajasthan. A huge thanks goes to the Wellesley Mayling Soong Committee and AIIS for making this trip financially possible! I am so, so grateful.

This will be my third trip to India, and by far the most immersed. Previously, my travels were largely tourist-oriented, covering several cities in little time. My first trip was with family around India's "Golden Triangle" - Delhi, Jaipur, Agra - and my second was exploring education in South India with Atlas Workshops, visiting schools and NGO's across four cities. This summer I'm excited to spend two whole months in one city, living in a home-stay and taking Hindi classes, focusing on language immersion and exploring the depth of cultural understanding that language brings. As an artist and musician, I especially hope to find opportunities to engage in the arts and explore the cross cultural interactions they foster. I look forward to sharing it all with you through this blog!

This Blog

It's hard to say how much down time I'll have, but I hope to put together some composed, meaningful pieces among quick updates as I engage in language studies, cultural activities, sightseeing, and my own artistic endeavors. Prepare to come across anything from doodles, photography, and videos, to personal reflections, movie reviews, and blurbs about daily life. (Or don't prepare. It's more fun that way.) I'm new to blogging and I might sound anywhere from awkward to dramatic, but I hope either way that you find my thoughts and images insightful.

Over the past year, I realized I've reached a creative standstill, which with this blog, I'm working to overcome. It's the result of constantly suppressing my creative impulses with the thought that other things are more important and worth pursuing - academics, resume building, networking - which I've been conditioned to believe. After a while, being creative became difficult; ideas that used to flow freely into whatever medium I worked with felt forced and inadequate for what I both wanted to accomplish yet wasn't willing to give the time to. With this blog, I'm forcing myself to create and grow in every way - intellectually, artistically, personally - and make the most of what I encounter in my travels. More importantly, I'll have an audience (that's you!), and the more I know people are watching, the more I'll hold myself accountable to my goals.

Follow Me!

You can "Follow By Email" in the sidebar, or Like Me on Facebook to get updates. Feel free to comment on my posts, or Contact Me to start a conversation. I'm looking forward to what this blog becomes!

All Summer Posts:

June 16: In Transit
August 3: Enjoy the Music

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like me on Facebook

Quote of the Day

"Why was the banana sad? Because he was a-kela"