Day 2: My First Film

December 27, 2015


"Floodgates"
Grace is one interview away from a pre-med training program, but something is stopping her. In this short film, watch as her nature and the supernatural influence her decisions.

Here it goes... my first ever film! This was my final project in my introduction to film production class this past semester, and it was quite an experience figuring out what goes into making a film, from scripting, casting, filming, editing, music. It's not as polished as it could be, but I like how it turned out, and I'm looking forward to doing more with film in the future!

The Story

One of our prompts for this project was to expand upon a self portrait assignment from earlier on in the semester. So I decided to tell a story that's familiar to a lot of people like me, who have to constantly consider what place their artistic talents should have in their life because of family pressures. Or, more generally, people who have to choose between adhering to family or societal expectations and their own passions. It's not exactly my story - more like a compilation of similar stories I've heard and can relate to. A lot of the dialogue comes from conversations I've had myself, or heard about from friends in similar situations.

Here's my long story short: Growing up, my parents had me develop my artistic and musical talents through lessons and classes, building portfolios, practicing nonstop, and entering competitions --which made me discover what I'm really good at. Suddenly, when it comes to college and careers I'm expected to let those passions take a back seat and focus on other fields that seem more legitimate in the eyes of the same people who fostered their growth.

I often think about what might have happened if I had applied to an art school or conservatory, or decided to major in art or music -- if I had gone with my gut and listened to what my accomplishments were telling me and fully dedicated myself to what I've been best at all my life, rather than trying to fit into another field that's "related" -- But then again, I wouldn't be here trying to learn a new medium by combining music and art in film, would I? (Spoiler alert - not that you really need one since it's a 5 minute film?) In "Floodgates", the main character, Grace, decides to not hold back anymore and opens the "floodgates" of her passion for the arts.

Footsteps

The key motif in the film is footsteps. In every scene, the direction, speed, path, and manner of stepping or moving in relation to the simultaneous music and dialogue reflect onGrace's character development.

During the climactic scene in the staircase while Grace is going to her interview, I used some magical realism to demonstrate her realization that she's headed in the wrong direction - both literally and symbolically.

Looking back, there's a lot of analysis to be juiced from this film that just isn't coming together in words at the moment. Feel free to ask questions in the comments and I'll be sure to get back to you!

Music

Fun fact - to come up with the soundtrack, I listened to a few songs from Justin Bieber's (great) new album on repeat for some inspiration. (Mostly - What do you mean, I'll show you, and Sorry) Hah.





You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like me on Facebook

Quote of the Day

"Why was the banana sad? Because he was a-kela"